What is transition house?
Transition House is a safe and confidential shelter for abused women and children. We can provide accommodations for up to 19 women and their children.
Women may stay for up to a period of 30 days. During this time, women and children can begin their healing process and arrange for alternate housing plans. Food and other essentials are provided at no cost. Household chores, living areas, and bathrooms are shared among the women. Each woman is provided with their own bedroom. Mothers and children share a bedroom.
Transition House is a home for abused women and their children. It provides refuge, comfort and a time for healing. A measure of our success is achieved through clients who strive to lead happier and healthier lives through self-improvement thereby providing hope for the future.
The Corporation known as Women in Transition House Inc. was founded subsequent to the recognition of the special needs stemming from the uniqueness involved in domestic violence in our community. Philosophies of Women In Transition House Inc. include the following:
A. Through the process of developing and providing various services and programs we will help reinforce attitudes, beliefs and values which contribute to the health of individuals and families and, ultimately the overall health of the community;
B. Evidence suggests that prevention correlates with the degree of personal involvement by individuals for resolution of problems affecting them. Prevention, therefore, is as much a process as it is a service;
C. Voluntarism and community self help processes contribute to a sense of integrity, self-worth and interdependence which are significant factors in sustaining or developing strong and supportive community structures; and
D. Recognition that social breakdown at the individual, family or community level can be prevented, or its degree of severity and impact can be reduced.
The objectives of the house are to:
A. Provide services such as lodgings, advocacy, and referrals to the victims of physical, emotional, sexual, economic and/or social abuse, and
B. Inform the public and promote awareness of the mandate and objectives of Transition House.
1. Provide emotional support to women dealing with the effects of trauma
2. Provide information about the dynamics of abuse and its effects
3. Provide accompaniment to appointments
4. Help women make safety plans
5. Assessment of risk and threat
6. Understand women’s process of staying, leaving and returning abusive relationships
7. Help to co-ordinate systemic response between police, court services, and child protection
8. Advocate with police, court services, child protection when systemic response is substandard
9. Help women find housing – transitional or permanent
10. Help women deal with economic challenges
11. Help women to support their children with the effects of witnessing their mother’s abuse
Tour our house: